Follow each of these steps to prevent fire and serious injury:
Always trim your wick to 1/4 inch before each lighting. Keep debris and wick trimmings out of the melt pool. When lighting a candle for the first time, keep it lit for 3-4 hours to allow the melted wax to reach the edges. Do not allow the wick to curl as this can create a larger than normal flame. Never attempt to trim a burning candle. Place the candle on a flat, sturdy heat-resistant surface and avoid drafts. Do not burn your candle for more than 4 hours at a time. The wick should always remain centered and away from the sides of the jar. Stop burning the candle when 1/2 inch of wax is left. Keep your candle away from anything that can catch fire. Keep the candle within sight and out of reach of children and pets; never leave a lit candle unattended. Do not pick up a burning candle or one that was recently extinguished; it may get too hot to handle. Wait for the wax to harden and cool. Never use water to extinguish a candle.