Many people don't really know about the benefits of soy candles. Big box shoppers rush to their nearest big box stores for the latest candle deal, only to fill their homes with paraffin or paraffin blended candles. When we started to create our product, we knew we wanted to use "good" ingredients. Our candles are made in small batches with 100% soy wax. We don't use any additives or dye in our candles, so you'll never find any color or potentially harmful chemicals which means a clean burn for you and your family.
Here are 5 reasons why we like soy, and you should too.
1) Let's start with soot: Soot is the black stuff you can see on candle jars, walls or ceilings. Most mass market candles are made from paraffin or a soy blend that contains paraffin. The words "soy candle" may not may not mean 100% soy, so be sure to ask or check the ingredients. 100% soy wax is a natural product. A properly wicked and trimmed soy candle should not cause any soot to build up on your walls or ceiling. Of course you can't eliminate soot altogether, but soy candles tend to produce less. A 2002 Study published in the Journal of American Oil Chemist Society found that paraffin candles produce more soot than soy candles. The researchers also found that soy produced little to none.
2. Soy is a renewable resource: Soy is sustainable and is not derived from petroleum oil like paraffin. Soy wax is a vegetable wax made from soybean oil. Our supplier of wax sources domestically grown soy which helps American farmers. Soy wax is also biodegradeable, so simply clean any spills with warm water and soap.
3. Slower burn: All things being equal, a soy candle will burn slower since soy is denser than paraffin. This allows soy candle makers like us to create candles that last longer, which gives you more value for your dollar. Soy wax burns longer which makes it more cost effective.
4. Cleaner burn: Soy wax is not made from fossil fuel, so it won't release crazy toxins or carcinogens into the air. An SCSU study found that long term use of paraffin candles could contribute to the risk of developing allergies, asthma or worse; cancer. They did not get the same result with soy wax.
5. Longer lasting scent: Candles are purchased for ambiance and scent. Since soy candles burn slower than paraffin, the scent is released gradually. This gradual release will slowly fill your room with a longer lasting fragrance.
There are so many more reasons why using 100% soy wax is superior to a soy blend or paraffin candles. We hope this made you more aware of what it means to have a "clean burn" and why soy wax is a great option for your home.